Day 20 : Singapore Sunday

Date : October 20, Sunday
Day : 20

Wow. I can't believe I've been on this journey for 20 days already. October has indeed gone by really quickly. It's going to be Diwali soon! Diwali is a popular Hindu festival and is celebrated in a lot of countries, including Singapore. Diwali, is the shortened version of Deepavali : which literally means a row of lights. Lamps are light throughout the night and houses are cleaned to make Goddess Lakshmi, the Hindu Goddess of wealth.


(Image Courtesy : cocreatingourreality.com)

People wear new clothes and wish each other with sweets. Crackers are burst to keep evil spirits away. This will be my first Diwlai away from India and I'm going to miss home FOR SURE. Thankfully, I am not too far away and Singapore makes me feel right at home. In fact some sections of the city are already being decorated to welcome Diwali on November 3rd!

So, in the spirit of Diwali and to celebrate 108 surya namaskars, I bought myself some really cool yoga hot pants and a top :



So after blowing up a lot of money on pair of pants, I feel weirdly good! 

My Sunday class was as usual with Anton and I almost considered not going, because when I woke up on Sunday, everything was  in pain. Especially my arms and my abs. I woke up and sneezed and WOAH! the pain, the pain! But I woke up early and cooked some chicken curry, and made myself some tea and head out for class.

The Yin class today was really lovely. And unlike last week's, it wasn't focused on any particular part. It was a combination of poses  starting from the child's pose to butterfly to puppy pose and a few shoulder openers. Somehow my upper body was paining and the arms were of course another level of pain. But the beauty of Yin is such that, it pained for a bit when I first settled into the asana , but after the first or second minute , after my body went deeper, it was healing in a way and i was so glad I came for class. I had fought with a friend as well and my mind was all over the place so Yin, helped me calm my mind down.

After a good shower, I head out to this lovely little store called Touch The Toes in Arab Street and got myself some goodies. Wuen, one of the store owners, was really helpful and helped get the perfect size. I'm so used to picking up a size 'L' for my clothes, that I requested an "L" in the nothern lights pant at well. But when I tried it on, it didn't fit snugly and was slipping a bit. Now imagine, being in an inversion and you pant slipping down! Eeeeek! So I went for an M instead. The pants are from Teeki. Their hot pants are made from recycled plastic bottles and here is the process. It is expensive, I paid 88 SGD for it. But they are such an awesome fit, i just couldn't wait to wear them to class. I also bought a bra top from Carrot Banana Peach, cute name no?! These are a really good fit as well, really really snug!!

The asana I am going to talk about today is Badhakonasana or the butterfly pose. The word badhakonasana does NOT mean butterfly though. Badha is bound or restrtained and kon is angle and asana is pose. It's called so because of the position of the feet Both the feet are tucked close to the groin and held tightly with the hands as though tied or bound together in a particular angle. It's called the Butterfly pose because of the movement of the legs during the asana, which looks like a butterfly flapping it's wings. By the way it's also called the Cobbler pose because it resembles a cobbler at work.

(Image Courtesy : a2zyoga.com)


That's it for today. Excited about monday flow as usual, but not so excited about the pain in my body !

Namaste.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swara Yoga - II

Green Tara ~ Om tāre tuttāre ture sohā

Day 18 : It's Friday , Friday!